Connect with us


Hungary score last-minute winner to send Scots home

Hungary secured a dramatic 1-0 victory over Scotland with Kevin Csoboth’s goal in the 100th minute, positioning themselves to potentially advance to the Euro 2024 last-16 stage while consigning Scotland to another disappointing major tournament exit.

Csoboth’s decisive strike came in the dying moments of the match, propelling Hungary to third place in Group A with three points. Scotland, enduring yet another disappointment without progressing past the group stage in either the Euros or World Cup, finished bottom of the group with just one point.

Hungary’s fate now hinges on the outcomes of matches in other groups over the next few days, as they await to see if they qualify among the top four third-placed teams. Manager Marco Rossi expressed jubilation at the crucial win that revived their tournament hopes when it seemed they were heading for an early exit.

“It was an incredible match. Historically, we have achieved nothing without immense suffering, and today was no different. I believe we played the game we needed to,” Rossi remarked. “We created numerous opportunities and situations, although we also allowed some to slip away. Overall, I believe it was a well-deserved victory.”

The game itself was gritty, with neither side able to establish dominance despite both teams desperately needing a win to extend their stay in Germany. Scotland initially dominated possession but failed to convert it into clear chances, managing no shots on target throughout the match despite holding 61% possession in the first half.

Hungary grew stronger as the match progressed, posing threats on counter-attacks and through set pieces, particularly with captain Dominik Szoboszlai dangerous from dead-ball situations. Their best chance came in the 41st minute when Willi Orban’s header struck the crossbar from close range following Szoboszlai’s free kick.

The match was marred by a serious injury incident in the 68th minute when Hungary’s Barnabas Varga collided with Scotland goalkeeper Angus Gunn during another Szoboszlai set piece. Varga was stretchered off the field and taken to hospital but was reported to be in stable condition.

In a frantic final phase, Scotland’s appeals for a penalty were denied in the 79th minute, and both teams pushed for a winning goal. Hungary’s Csoboth hit the post in stoppage time before eventually converting a swift counter-attack from a Scottish corner to secure the victory in dramatic fashion.

The defeat left Scotland crestfallen, with captain Andy Robertson expressing deep disappointment but also gratitude for the support from the fans back home.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Must See

More in SPORTS